Thursday, March 4, 2010

Traditional vs. Not -so-traditional


1. What is art? Is it something divine? Something perfect? Something hand-made? Well, pretty much to answer that question; I don't really know. But, here's what I have come up with (in my opinion):
-Paintings/drawings/sculptures/photos
-Designs/architecture
-Music/Cinematography
2. Is there a right or wrong way in art? Honestly, it depends on who you ask. If you ask a 5 year old they might just say something like "you have to color in the lines". However, if you ask a college professor, that person might say with conviction that there most certainly is! Now ask yourself. What do you think?
In order to help you make an informed decision/opinion, please allow me to throw out some neutral points for consideration.
-"Art" has some definition in all cultures
-"Art" has many different forms/mediums
-"Art" does not have a Bible or 10 commandments (no official, universal, or intergalactic handbook exists)
-What makes something radical? Extreme? Inappropriate? And does human history/religious bias have anything to do with it?
-What makes something pleasing to the human eye? Symmetry? Color? Balance? Rhythm? Movement? Pattern? Line? Shape? Texture? Form?
Now, having considered these points one can begin to critique art.
I've been doing watercolor for a little under a decade now, and I have to say that I prefer the not-so-traditional look. I don't know what it is, but I don't like the washy look of "traditional" watercolor. i can't help but focus on the washiness of the piece instead of the composition. So, I kind of took the harder road. I can't help but enjoy detail and more of a fullness in paintings. So, that's what I taught myself to do in watercolor and all other mediums.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that there is only one "right way" to doing any art.
This picture was done for a good friend of mine not too long ago. I call it "Arizona Night". It was done in request by him (Tyler) because it is originally a photo he took but i added a couple pieces of "flair"... Oh, and it's watercolor...

3 comments:

  1. I think your photo of the painting is a little blurry, which is distracting me from the composition of the piece...

    Joking aside, this is a very cool painting. Next time I'm down there, we need to take a trip out to the desert for some good photography!

    ReplyDelete